Morning and other walks in Sintra



This was the first morning this autumn that when I left for my morning walk with Pandora, I put a reflector on both of my legs under the knee. Pandora's pink bandana was also changed to a reflecting collar, to be on the safe side. It wasn't dark at 7:15, but the light was not strong anymore. No socks were necessary but I wore a long-sleeved t-shirt to keep off the cool, humid morning air of my chest.

I have gotten addicted to these morning walks. As I write this, Pandora is a 7 month-old Great Dane full of energy. Initially I thought that these walks would ware her out and she would stay calmer for a longer period. But who wore out was I. Then I got into a better shape, and I told myself that I would waste her energy and it would magically transfer to me, as I felt energized after the walks. Wrong again. Yes, I get energized but so does she. Now both of us look forward to our walks with equal eagerness, which is easy enough to comprehend. Sintra is magical, ESPECIALLY in the mornings!

There is a mist that rises from the green of the mountain. There are colors on the horizon as the sun hits the clouds over the sea. There is a magic scent, almost like in an African forest, of the flowers in the numerous parks and gardens all over town. And there are birds waking up, singing to each other, sheep starting to move around with their bells sounding off with each step.
And yes, there is often the sound of the street-sweepers sweeping and blowing, mechanically.

There are a few early risers on the move - Manuel Careca's restaurant is open for coffee next to the City Hall, the Bakery in the Historic Center is open. The mechanics open shop early, too. The policemen change their shift. Some students walk to the train station to catch an early train. Then come the workers for the various building sites at 8, and Pandora's friend Nico takes a walk with his master at that time too! And the Arara-birds of Quinta das Murtas get up early, too, to do their morning singing.



But what there is not yet are a lot of people around. Hardly any cars are parked on Volta do Duche and the sculptures can easily be viewed. Almost no cars are passing in the streets, no buses, no hunking of horns. Only the nature, really, and Pandora and I!

And the walnuts and the figs. Where we walk we can collect walnuts off the street, fallen from the walnut-trees that hang over the walls - and figs all the same. Soon it will be chestnuts. Last month it was blackberries on the side of some streets. Rewarding! And there are several fountains of fresh mountain water to quinch our thirst - no need to carry bottles with us (just the poop-bag, a kleenex, and asthma-pump in the pocket).

The walks in Sintra are not the easiest. It is difficult to find straight, non-hilly terrain. The pavements are always to the humid-side in the mornings (dew and mountain mist...). But they are never boring. You can choose less and more difficult, steep and less steep, 160 straight-forward or 80 double-width winding stairs (or no stairs at all)! All around the mountain there are marked, well-kept walking paths to the castles and monuments, or just to the seaside and along the coast. There are printed maps of these available in many languages at the tourism office, and guides can be hired for longer walks. In the summers the City Hall also offers free guides at certain times for groups. I obviously prefer morning walks, but you can walk the whole day if you wish taking advantage of the beautiful countryside! And you are most welcome to join Pandora and myself any morning if you are an early riser, before breakfast!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abandoned houses

Chalet Biester - the film set for Johnny Depp's 'Ninth Gate'

Oh, the wonderful Pastries and Bread!