Riding a bike up the mountain...

Stopping to buy ceramics on the way up from the beach
It has been a very busy season for us here at Casa do Valle - which is great! I took an afternoon off the other week with my friend when we went with a horse and carriage to Monserrate. Now my sister visited, and I took some more time off - this time doing something that I had been wanting to do for awhile, but not alone: I rented an electric bike.

I have always liked riding a bike, but somehow the idea of normal mountain biking on these mountain roads does not appeal to me - I vision a sweaty ride concentrating on each effort of pedaling to make it up the hill, a sweaty, curved back and hearing my heart beat so loud I cannot hear anything else. Which would be great for RPM or spinning. But I would like to envision myself pedaling upright, listening to the wind through the eucalyptus leaves, the birds chirping away; feeling the scent of the pine, eucalyptus and other trees - all this without being too tired to enjoy it all. And this is just what I got when riding the electric bike.

On the way to Monserrate
My first reaction was a 'WOW' of surprise when I started pedaling - it actually felt like someone was pushing me, giving me a help up those hills. And it was easy. Very easy to get the hang of it, changing the gears, and pedaling uphill sitting down. All the while seeing how much battery I had left - and the more I pedalled the more it filled again! With some effort but not at all difficult. Through the mirrors of the bike I could check that my sister was following, and as we got more distance between the Historic Center and us we biked a lot next to each other and were able to have a nice conversation. Without the noise of motorbikes but all the freedom you would associate to them. We went toward Monserrate again (my sister had not seen it since the palace openend again)- and back.

So much did we enjoy our ride that we hired the bikes again - this time to go to Capuchos convent high up on the mountain (and much further away than Monserrate). Another wonderful ride! And the asfalt was in great condition (Just a side note: the shop of the convent was a delightful change to the normal tourist shops in town, with items made of cork, natural soaps, notebooks....). My sister went for a ride even a third time when her husband arrived - and they went much further than we ever did, enjoying it as much as we had before.

I am sad I never went before, so excited was I. I told all of our clients about our experience and some Dutch clients of ours already went - returning with the same, positive experience as we had had. A nice way to experience the mountain, the nature, and all the things associated that fill your senses. While still getting some exercise!

The bikes were recently changed to modern ones with lithium batteries; as they are new they are in great condition; and for any eventuality, they have a local phone number you can call and get help. The bike hire costs 30 euros for a full day or 19 for a half a day - and this includes the entrances to the monuments/parks - which makes it a really good deal. Cheaper yet, if you are 3 or more. I recommend reserving the bikes one day in advance - the first day we wanted to go they did not have any available!

Comments

olla said…
Sintra is full of wonderfull things to see and do - so great that you take the time to see and do them and tell us about them! Keep up the good work!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Abandoned houses

Chalet Biester - the film set for Johnny Depp's 'Ninth Gate'

Oh, the wonderful Pastries and Bread!