Running away from the heat


This winter when it was cold and rainy I promised to myself that I would not complain about the heat if it ever came. The heat DID come, and it has stayed on and on. The normally cool nights of Sintra have been less cool than normal, and all of our clients have slept with their windows and doors open. My poor dog Ruben, who was recently operated on his knee, is suffering the most with the heat.

So what to do? It has been really busy, too, I have been blogging less, though I often think about things to blog about. I have now tried to escape the heat; my morning walks area earlier, and in the shade. And that is what gave me the idea: the shade. Sintra is FULL of tourists. I thank each and everyone for coming, but in this heat I wanted a short escapade from the crowds, and the heat - and that is just what I did; I took a horse and carriage ride to Monserrate gardens!

The trip was wonderful. It let the crowded center of town behind and we dove into the lush, green and cool mountain. Passing the various water fountains, the Quinta da Regaleira and the Seteais Palace; big gates of the various huge manor houses.... With each leg of the trip there were less tourists, less traffic, and less heat.

What joy! The cloppety-clop of the hoofs, the fresh wind in my face, the beautiful views...
I went with a friend, but there is space for 4 people per carriage. The trip to Monserrate took about 35 minutes. We visited the newly partly-opened palace (after restoration, they are still doing restauration works in other parts of the palace) while the carriage waited - and we returned. A total of about 2 hours. And we returned fresh, conversation upto date, and frankly, it seemed much longer than that!

I do recommend this trip - or a shorter one if you don't have 2 hours - check out their site www.sintratur.com . And remember - at Casa do Valle we give you discount coupons for these trips. A really traditional way to get to know Sintra that will freeze time (and the heat...)!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abandoned houses

Chalet Biester - the film set for Johnny Depp's 'Ninth Gate'

Gluten or lactose free? Vegetarian or Vegan? Some choices in Sintra!