Paragliding Baptism!

The feeling of freedom.  

The mixed sensation of slight panic and incredible happiness.
The happy face that comes with the first flight!

Last week the winds were finally perfect and my desire to experiment paragliding  came through. 

My thirty minute flight was tandem, so my harness was attached to that of Luís, my instructor.  No need for me to do anything other than pull my harness down after take-off, to sit more comfortably. And even that I needed a little help with.  It is difficult to explain the feeling of flight – I loved the views of the cliffs and the sea.  The quietness of the flight – no engine, just the sound of the wind and the birds.  The calmness and the patience of Luís with my anxiousness helped me relax and enjoy the gliding.
There were times I was really relaxed!

The views were great!
And it was just that – gliding, no bumps, no quirks, no sudden drops or movements.  Yet some simple turns at first made my stomach feel a cold tightness that quickly passed. But no flight sickness!   I do recognize that a client like me is a challenge to an instructor, but Luís' professionalism was such that he knew what he could do with each client to maintain them happy. This I noticed watching the people who went after me and realizing that they were more comfortable with faster turns and movements.  To each his own! We only flew in the height of approximately 300 meters, but it was certainly high enough for me. The take-off and landing were smooth, no bumps or discomfort there.
The take off is smooth, straight off the cliff to
flight.  No awkward jump or drop

Also the landing was smooth, just like getting off of a chair

The day I went there were sometimes 14 wings up in the air


I opted to go paragliding with Muitaventura, a company from Sintra that organizes not only paragliding but other sports activities as well.   If you want to experience this incredible flight, let us know or contact Muitaventura directly! I can certainly recommend their services.


If you are staying with us at Casa do Valle, you also have the option of our multi-activity adventure package that includes paragliding, mountain-biking, surfing, climbing or bouldering and hiking. Send us a mail and get more details! 



Comments

Ljacinto said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ljacinto said…
Paragliding, a way of life

Popular posts from this blog

Abandoned houses

Chalet Biester - the film set for Johnny Depp's 'Ninth Gate'

Gluten or lactose free? Vegetarian or Vegan? Some choices in Sintra!