Climbing feedback - wonderful time!

This spring we had two sisters staying with us, and both tried climbing for the first time with Sintra Climbing Tours.  Martta had done indoor climbing for a year, Siiri however had never climbed at all.  They both loved it! I asked them to write an account on their experiences, and here it is, with a few pictures as well! 

For more on bouldering and other outdoor activities here, check out these videos:

ACTIVITIES: 

BOULDERING:
Martta above, Siiri below  going up the 'Penedo da Amizade' near the Moorish Castle and a view of the zipline on the right

Martta:

I started climbing 1 year and a half ago in an indoor climbing gym in Paris and fell in love with it after the first session. I take to the bouldering blocks once a month, and have always been curious about climbing in the nature.

Bouldering is low to the ground climbing without a harness, and requires technique, flexibility, strength and creativity. I like bouldering because you don’t need a rope, or a partner, so you are freer. Nevertheless, it is still a social activity because with the help of a partner on the ground you can solve the climbing puzzles a little faster.

Even though I have been indoor bouldering for the last year I have been curious about bouldering and climbing outdoors with a harness. Little did I know that Sintra is a mecca for outdoor climbing. So this Easter when I was there I took my sister one morning into the mountain with me, and met with João and Francisco, who know the surfaces Sintra’s rocks and cliffs better than the palm of their own hands.

Sintra’s climbing dream team, Francisco and João, met us in the forest beneath the beautiful Moorish castle with all the gear necessary for the experience. My sister had never climbed before, and I was a little nervous because I had never been climbing out in the nature. After a demonstration of the best climbing route to take on the particular rock we were at, a safety briefing and some beginner climbing tips, I was off to discover the surface of the rocks I had only seen from a distance. While climbing the “Jardim Escola” path (the name of the particular route we first took on the majestic Moorish castle rocks) I realized that the rock was softer than I thought it would be, and found that the rocks were easy to climb – even with my beginner’s technique. As I got to the top I had privileged view to the historical center of Sintra, that was still waking up in the hills beneath me. Beautiful.

Upon rappelling down, my sister took to the rock after me. Francisco and João were giving her tips from the ground just as they had given me. It was interesting to analyse the climbing route after I had been there, I now look at the rock in a completely different way. After the first climbing route we rappelled down to another rock, and had another opportunity to climb – both my sister and I climbed with more ease this time, but still had the guidance from the experts.

To top off the morning my sister and I took the opportunity to zip-line between the tall trees in the forest we were in. That was another exhilarating experience.

After the climbing both my sister and I were happy and satisfied with our climbing achievements of the morning. After this experience nature climbing I highly recommend climbing in Sintra, and Sintra Climbing Tours. Thank you Casa do Valle for recommending this to us, and obrigada João and Francisco!
Siiri's first climbing steps guided by Francisco


Siiri’s account of the climbing:

Unlike my sister I had never climbed before, in terms of both indoor bouldering and nature climbing.

When we got to the “Jardim Escola”, the first climbing spot, I was amazed and slightly intimidated by the inclination and size of the rock. I was quite nervous as to whether I would be able to find the natural cracks and holes on the wall of the rock to be able to push myself up. João of course had no issues climbing the rock during his demonstration, and made it look very easy.

The first time I attempted to climb the rock I was fazed by how steep it was. You only understand the true inclination and the altitude once doing the climb.  Whenever I could not find a hole for my hands and for my feet, the instructors would scream some suggestions from the ground.

 I was so pleased when I got to the top, after the initial fright. It was an experience where you both needed to think hard about your next moves and use your muscles effectively. Due to the adrenaline, I was not tired at all during the climbs, but I did feel it all over my body on the following days.  I was so surprised about how many muscles you use for this sport; it was a fantastic workout!

After the first climb we were taken to a much steeper and longer rock to climb and rappel. To my surprise, I was already much faster as I had already understood some techniques from the first climb. I really enjoyed the second route, as I felt that I mastered the basics so quickly. It is surprising how fast one can learn; this is no doubt due to the great support from both Francisco and João!
João guiding the ropes

All and all the day was amazing; we had had a lovely walk up the mountain in the morning, learnt a new sport, had the most spectacular views of the horizon and were truly in touch with nature. For me the highlight of the day was that I went from fearing the height and the inclination of the activity to being addicted to the idea of climbing another façade.

I look forward to joining Francisco and João on another rock climbing outing in the Sintra mountain next time I visit Casa do Valle!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abandoned houses

Chalet Biester - the film set for Johnny Depp's 'Ninth Gate'

Oh, the wonderful Pastries and Bread!