New Horizons!







Most of the people who visit Sintra do not rent a car - and it really is not necessary. To those who are not used to narrow streets and mountainous terrain, driving in Sintra can be a nerve-racking experience. Most of the monuments and parks are easily reachable by foot from Casa do Valle - or at least by the local bus. Quinta da Regaleira is about a kilometer from here, Pena Palace and the Mourish castle are about 3 kms - and the local buses are quite good to visit the beaches, Cascais and Estoril, as well. I have mentioned in my previous entries that we have a 'Guest to Guest' book where guests who are leaving suggest places to eat and go visit to the new arriving guests. Recently a few places have started popping up, like The Convent of Capuchos (or the 'Cork Monastery'), Cabo de Roca, the higher points of the mountain, rarer beaches, small villages. All not-in-a-walking-distance, and difficultly or hardly not at all reachable by public transportation.

Recently I had the most wonderful, refreshing experience up the mountain and on the beaches, seeing exactly those things that are less frequented, only due to more challenging access - certainly not by less worth! I used a new service provided by a local student of applied languages: I visited all of those wonderful places in a BMW convertible! I must say I was a bit weary at first, never having ridden in a convertible before - thinking my hair would be all messed up and all, but let me tell you - it wasn't and I loved it! The wonderful scent of the eucalyptus forest up on the mountain filled my senses! The calm of the Capuchos Convent, beautifully recuperated, was refreshing. The views from Peninha nearly 500 meters above sea level both to Lisbon and Ericeira were fantastic. The quaint village of Penedo where we drank water from a mountain well was like time had stopped. The Western-most point of continental Europe, Cabo de Roca, was easily accessible without getting bus-sick... All through the 4 hours we spent visiting I took SO many pictures and saw so many things it seemed I had never really seen Sintra (and I only live here...).

I strongly recommend this trip to all of our clients. It can be tailor-made depending on what you enjoy, it can include a stop at a café or restaurant; you can take a picnic with you and eat it at a place you are not likely to have a chance to see again. João is a very nice young man, speaks very good English and is sure to be able to make the trip just right for you! I am including a few pictures just to give an idea of things you can see on the way. You can contact us if you want to book, by email (info@casadovalle.com) or by phone (00351 91 937 1622).

Comments

Martta Oliveira said…
You're right! All of these beautiful places to see in Sintra and they are so rarely seen because of the hard access with public transport - or because tourists are not aware of them!
I am so glad that you have added this to the Casa do Valle services!
MyriamC said…
Thanks for this tip. This is exactly what we would like to do. We will have a rental car (not a convertible, we have one at home!) so we can easily get to the mountains and see those beautiful sights for ourselves.

Popular posts from this blog

Abandoned houses

Chalet Biester - the film set for Johnny Depp's 'Ninth Gate'

Oh, the wonderful Pastries and Bread!