Winter beaches


This morning once again I took the dogs to the beach as the morning was breaking. I am enclosing a picture of Praia Pequena 'waking up' - if you look closely, you will see the little black dots, that's the early surfers. The other picture is of Praia Grande. It is full moon now, and the time of the year of 'Marés Vivas' - the rough winter tides. You can see the stairs going down to the beach, with blue railing. Notice how the stairs seem to stop in the middle of the way. They don't. That's 'all the way to the beach' normally - just that the tides took away all the sand! In two weeks, with the new moon, the sand will be back again. An interesting phenomena on our winter beaches!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I was very surprised to realize, that wintery Portugal, and Sintra in particular, was a wonderful holiday site! I was there once again with my wife for a long weekend and had a wonderful time! I actually don't really care for the hot summers in the sun, coming from Scandinavia, so the coo weather suited me just perfect.
We did some unusual sight seeing - we visited the hard-ware store ( and spent a few hours looking at almost every shell)and the beach.
I took my wife there as a chritmas present - I learnt that the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra had a concert in Sintra so I booked the tickects and it certainly was good choice for a present.
I can recommend Sintra also at wintertime - maybe even better than wummer, but that would depent on what you want from your vacation.
And thank you Virpi, for the wonderful rooms again - most likely we'll return again next year
all the best

Popular posts from this blog

Abandoned houses

Chalet Biester - the film set for Johnny Depp's 'Ninth Gate'

Oh, the wonderful Pastries and Bread!